Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Simplification in Planning

Though I have many friends who want to build the basement empire and it has been my dream it is time to realize that the dream must end.  Something between the one lead and a couple sidings of the recent past and the empire is probably closer to a satisfying reality. 

Even with the issues of wanting a longer run I have come to realize that I will never have in my current a long enough run to implement Timetable and Train Order operation.  The general rule of thumb is that it takes 8 plus scale miles of track with 10 -12 be optimal by my reckoning to give enough distance without introducing boredom of the endless run.

Where does that leave me?  I need to settle on a design that gives more in a smaller space.  This typically means a switching operation using a nodal design.  A nodal design is one main yard where all on layout traffic originates and terminates for all jobs.

Settling this design parameter should make the next step simplify the next step. 

No comments:

Post a Comment